Find the minutes from previous meetings here
People’s Assembly North East Organising Meeting – 13th Aug 2013
Notes and action points
Apologies: Clare H, Teresa E, Alex S, Mark T, Nick C.
Present: Tony D (Chair), Mathew G, Michael L, Ed W, Alex M, Steve, Eddie W, Simon H (minute taker), Mike D, Paul M, Joan H, Kathy H, Roy B, Eleen McN
Matthew reported on choice of venues for workshops etc. The meeting agreed with his proposals and that on the day we would need ‘stewards’, a timetable (with map) and signage to ensure things run smoothly. Producing map etc: • Mathew
Tony outlined the latest on the speakers at the opening & closing plenaries and latest details of the speakers & ‘shape’ of the workshops(see attached Apendix-1). Economist Michael L outlined his contribution to the workshops. For more on this contact: Tony D.
Joan gave a comprehensive report on the evening ‘Variety Show’ which will start at 6.30am for two hours with 20 minute interval. One 20 min slot remains to be filled. (See attached PANEEveLineUpDraft) For more on this contact: Joan H.
Ideas for building the event:
• Leaflets and Posters: an updated leaflet is needed along with new posters (A4/A3) for shops etc. Simon to liaise with Mark. If you need posters, leaflets etc. contact Mark, Simon, Tony, Mathew.
If you can help with leafleting any of the following please get in touch:
Sat 24th Aug: NHS Fundraising Gig The Cluny Newcastle
PA to request and operate stall. Contact: Ed W.
Sun 25th & Mon 26th Aug (all day): Newcastle Mela Exhibition Park, Newcastle
(Two day south Asian cultural festival – attracts a big crowd.) Contact: Tony D.
Sun 25th Aug: South Tyneside Festival Bents Park South Shields
Contact: Mathew G
Tues 28th Aug: Defend Sunderland Libraries Public Meeting
PA to request and operate stall Contact: Gary D.
Stalls in town centres and workplaces:
Newcastle Town Centre – Contact: Ed W
Newcastle Civic Centre – Contact: Ed W
Hospitals – Contact: Alex
• If you can help out with above get in touch.
• Let us know if you can organise anything in your area such as town centre stalls, leafleting workplaces etc.
• It was agreed that it makes sense to tie in any leafleting for the PA launch with publicity for the 29th Sept NHS protest in Manchester where possible.
• There was some discussion of how to track registrations so we know if people are coming to the evening event only, just the day event or both. • Tony, Mathew & Joan
• It is now easier to post the event and links on twitter. • Mathew G
New Media/Social Media etc.
• Ensure info and links go on National PA website: • Mathew G.
• Ask Owen J and Mark S to publicise the event: • Mathew and Tony.
• Links to Eventbright registration should be on everything.
• An appeal will be made for additional support and funding to local trade union bodies including the Northern TUC which is meeting on September 4th: • Tony D.
• Some trade union bodies and other campaign organisations have been contacted by Mark T about publicising the event and raising funds. A comprehensive list is being made of contacts in the unions. Simon to liaise with Pete B, Martin L and Mark T to co-ordinate this: • Simon H.
• The Crack Magazine: the meeting agreed to take out an advert (cost £300 – reduced rate) and there will probably be an editorial feature. Covering the cost of the ad will take some urgent and serious fundraising – donations welcome. Contact: Joan H.
• Spark TV (Sunderland Uni) are probably covering the event. We are meeting with them on Tuesday 20th Aug – anyone interested in going along to find out more contact: Mathew G.
• We need to prepare a series of press releases.
• We need to contact particular journalists at Chronicle and BBC,
Raising the profile of the launch
Suggested showing of the film ‘Spirit of 45’ at various venues in Gateshead, Durham, Redcar. For more information contact: Alex S and Mathew G.
Dates for diaries:
2nd Nov – Student Assembly Against Austerity
5th Nov – proposed day of direct action
9th Nov – Labour Assembly Against Austerity
EDL threatening to march in South Shields on Sat 31st Aug
Newcastle Unites and others are organising counter events. Contact: Mike D for details of meetings etc. Matthew G agreed to attend on behalf of PA
• Date of next People’s Assembly North East Organising Meeting
NOTE NEW TIME!!
Tuesday 20th August – 5-7pm, Unison Offices, Pilgrim St, Newcastle
Many thanks to Simon for taking minutes
Please register for 14th Sept here: http://nepeoplesassembly.eventbrite.co.uk/