Find action points from previous meetings here.
NE PEOPLES ASSEMBLY AGAINST AUSTERITY (PAAA) CO-ORDINATING GROUP MEETING
Tuesday 8 September, Unison Northern region offices
15 people in attendance, Chair-person: T. Dowling, Minute-taker: M. Tyers
Apologies: A. Snowdon, E. Whitby, S. A. Cooper
Look out for ***Action points***
1. BONFIRE OF AUSTERITY 5TH NOVEMBER NATIONAL DAY OF PROTEST
– ***Assemble from 5pm outside Haymarket, Metro Station with march and actions at at various tax-dodging/loan-sharking/zero-hour-contracting shops and banks from 5.30pm onward. Thousands of flyers to be handed out to members of the public, megaphone to be used***
– ***S. Fisch to obtain Guy Fawkes costumes for an activist or two***
– ***S. Hall to draw up list of shops and banks to target***
– ***S. Hall to draft flyer, M. Tyers to assist and sort printing***
– Lots of ideas were generated about how to enhance protest including; a few musical performers between 5pm and 5.30pm at Haymarket whilst people are assembling,“penny for the Cameron/Clegg”, fake gunpowder barrel, activists in Guy Fawkes masks and costumes etc.
– NHS demo in Manchester was attended by approximately 70,000 people including 14 coaches from NE. BBC, ITV and other major news outlets refused to report march but social media campaign and formal complaints resulted in belate coverage of the demonstration on TV.
– FBU pickets were strong as the fire-fighters went on strike for the first time in approximately 10 years, they were well supported by the public
– ***14 September Survey Monkey survey set-up, 70+ responses so far, to be circulated on email list by T. Dowling***
– Wall send Memorial Hall Occupation has ended with the action successfully keeping the centre open for Tai-Chi, yoga, craft-classes, youth groups and other groups and classes still being run by volunteers though the workers have been made redundant- J. Hewitt
– North Tyneside Peoples Assembly will meet for the first time next week probably at Wallsend Memorial Hall (MEM) and some local councillors have been invited amongst other people- J. Hewitt
– South Tyneside People’s Assembly met for the first time last week in South Shields and was attended by 14 people including representatives from local trade unions, Green Party, Labour Party, Show Racism the Redcard and others – M. Giles
– Middlesbrough People’s Assembly was attended by 20 people, have made a banner and planned a 5th November lunch time protest and evening protest planned in Darlington. Other actions in the pipeline include leafleting outside the football stadium and Anti-abortion actions – T. Miller.
– Sunderland People’s Assembly had its second meeting last week which was attended by 18 people and planned 17 October teacher-strike solidarity actions, an anti-austerity funeral march through Sunderland on 2 Nov, fundraising gig, film-showing and more. Next meeting will be on 16 October and will be introduced by Sunderland NUT secretary Sarah Lake.
– M. Tyers reported approx £2000 in bank account
– ***all present agreed to make £500 donation to national PAAA***
– ***M. Tyers to sort out reimbursement for S. Hall for 14 Sept. programmes***
4. UNIVERSITY PEOPLE’S ASSEMBLY GROUP
– To be set-up
– ***M. Dixon to encourage Newcastle student to attend the national Student Assembly on 2 November at UCL -with NE PAAA to support with transport costs***
– Labour People’s Assembly not to be promoted by NE PAAA unless its open for non-Labour party members to attend.
5. MARK STEEL COMEDY GIG
– ***T. Dowling to chase up Mark Steel and confirm performance details by Thursday evening. Performance to be cancelled if confirmation is not received by then.***
– *** All present agree prices should be in the £10 /£5 concessions range***
– ***J. Hewitt, M. Tyers and M. Giles to meet with Northern Stage team to discuss details on Friday morning***
6. TEACHERS STRIKE 17 OCTOBER
– ***NE PAAA to support NUT and NASUWT march and rally; assembles 10am at Millennium places. Departs 10.30am for 11am-till-12am rally at Durham Student’s union, Dunelm House, New Elvet, Durham DH1 3AN ***
– ****NE PAAA to support and circulate information about Durham PAAA rally in solidarity with striking teachers is 1pm at Durham Miners Association Headquarters, Redhills.****
7. FUTURE NE PAAA MEETINGS
– Tues 22 October: NE PAAA coordinating meeting, 6pm, St. Johns Church Hall, Grainger Street, Newcastle. Focus to be Education with invited speakers. Suggestions include Richard Bathgate, Rachel Featherstone, Amy Hunt, Paul Simpson
– NE PAAA Co-ordinating Group meeting 12 November, venue to be confirmed.
8. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
– ***All present welcomed victory of Metro cleaners in their fight for living wage and agreed to provide them with 30 free tickets at the Mark Steel gig if it happens***